Thursday, August 7, 2008

Day One: Optimistic


The veggies above are all from our garden.


I read somewhere that people starting a vegan diet find that their food options greatly expand, contrary to what you might think. I can see what they mean so far. The variety of food in our meals from the first day have been much greater than normal. Instead of eating cheese and crackers for lunch, I've added in much more fresh fruit and veggies. The fruit tastes amazing, especially since I'm not eating any CHOCOLATE. The kids and I drove out to a farm not far from our house and bought fresh blackberries, blueberries, and tomatoes. So good! And it was fun to go see the farm and the animals. The kids gobbled down the blueberries. This has to be the very best time of year to do this cleanse.

Tough things: No coffee in the morning! Patrick and I enjoy a good cup of coffee together usually. I found a good tasting substitute, a decaf chai tea with unsweetened soy milk and agave nectar. We were both surprised at how tasty it was. Then I looked at the box and saw the tiny little words: contains gluten. RRRRRR. Gluten is much harder to avoid than I knew. I bought some yogi detox tea for us to use every day but now I'm scared to use it because it doesn't say gluten free on it. How to find out?

No comments: