Monday, August 11, 2008

Day Five: New Cookbooks


Above is polenta with two tomato topping from Robin Robertson's "quick-fix vegetarian", one of the cookbooks we bought yesterday. It includes sun dried tomatoes, yellow heirloom tomatos and basil from our garden (and other things). We liked it. A nice variety to the soy based meals we've had so far.

After we bought two vegan cookbooks yesterday, we went ingredient shopping. This time I tried New Seasons, with much success. They had everything we needed. Whole Foods selection wasn't as good when I went there, but maybe I missed things because I had the kids with me.

I had so much fun today trying new things. I made my own hummus and baba ghanoush as well as a dairy free creamy salad dressing using soft silky soy. An interesting tidbit I learned from one of the cookbooks: In Japan, because of the large amounts of soy in the diet, it is very rare for women to experience hot flashes during menopause. There is not even a word for it in the Japanese language because it is so uncommon.

Today is the first day I feel really good. No achey muscles, no headache. I like how I feel. Also, the scale keeps turning up miracles. Perhaps helped by the 6 mile walk we did yesterday... Patrick mentioned today that he keeps feeling "stuffed" full after our meals. I have been surprised also by how quickly I fill up.

No comments: